October Challenges



What. A. Month.  Any of you who checked out my latest JustGiving page will know I was given a charity place for the Royal Parks Half Marathon with Action on Addiction.  It was all very last minute as one of their runners had to pull out.  I put my hand up and pledged to raise £400 for them.

I had said after last year’s efforts I would not fundraise again for a while.  And asking people to donate their money again for me running a half marathon – I’ve done so many half marathons – I had to do something more.

I’d already signed up to Chester Metric Marathon at the beginning of October and Snowdonia Marathon again which was at the end of October and thought, why not make all of these my challenges and ask for donations.  I added in another event for the third weekend and that was that….

My October Challenges
7th October       Chester Metric Marathon
14th October     Royal Parks Half Marathon
21st October     Henley Half Marathon
27th October    Snowdonia Marathon

Fitness wise, the year had not gone to plan at all.  I shan’t dwell, but the build up to this year’s Snowdonia Marathon and the challenges was not ideal!  Illness and injury throughout the year meant I did not do half the training I had wanted to.

September I travelled up to Inverness for a weekend break and ran the River Ness 10K.  The first time in MONTHS I’d run 10K without stopping and without any major pain from my injuries.  I was ecstatic! 

A week later I entered the MK Autumn Half Marathon.  A two lap course.  A wonderful new route.  The foot pain came back with a vengeance and I was ready to call it a day after the first lap.  However in the end I thought just carry on.  It doesn’t matter if you’re walking.  It’s still time on your feet. And so I continued.  Walk/Running.  Slow as ever.  But I did it.

Then October came...

Chester Metric Marathon

26.2km. That’s 16.2 miles.  I had no expectations really.  My friends and I were chatting before. If we can beat 3 and a half hours.  That would be great.  A whole group of us were up from the running club.  It was great having everyone around.  So many people I love spending time with.  They majority were doing the marathon.  Carrie, Ali and myself were all doing the metric.  We started together.  Carrie went off first…she’s a stronger runner.  Ali and I stayed together.  The whole time.  We ran the whole way, only stopping at water stops.  Ali ran herself a new half marathon PB in the middle of it.  We finished in 3.18.  It was brilliant.  I could not have done it without Ali.  She’s my superstar.

I had some foot pain during the run – injury pain – but that stopped at the end, and no pain after the run.  Bonus.  October Challenge Event #1.  Done.

Royal Parks Half Marathon

This could be my new favourite half marathon.  I did not think I would ever be a fan of a run with more than a few thousand runners.  I like small events.  This half marathon? 16,000 runners.  That is HUGE.  And the biggest running event I’ve ever been a part of.  Also the most spectacular.  I love going to London and seeing the buildings, the parks, walking around.  I can be a proper tourist.  And this event, had it all….

You start on the south side of Hyde Park in waves, run to Hyde Park Corner under Wellington Arch and down Constitution Hill through Green Park.  Wave hello to the Queen in Buckingham Palace and run along Birdcage Walk and round Horse Guards Parade.  You then run down and back on Whitehall, then out to Aldwych and back along the Strand before hitting Trafalgar Square and heading back to the Queen along The Mall.  Back up Constitution Hill and into Hyde park again.  Once back in Hyde Park you do some loops then get into Kensington Gardens and back to finish where we started.  A wonderful, wonderful run. 

I also did much better than I expected with this one.  2.32.  An excellent training time for me.  Minimal foot pain.  Excellent.  Although I did pull my calf at Mile 12…12! Stretched and walked it off to finish strong. 

It rained the whole time.  But I didn’t care.  The atmosphere was incredible.  The crowd amazing.  My mum and the dog came down to support me.  We had a natter most of the may round.  And I met one of my Instagram heroes.  Brilliant!

Henley Half Marathon

The event I did not do.  Some circumstances at home meant JB and I couldn’t go away that weekend.  We needed to be at home.

I still went out for a run, however the half from the week before had been a bit much and I stopped after eight miles due to the pain – the calf I pulled the week before was not playing ball.  I stopped at the pub in Great Brickhill for an orange juice and lemonade and waited for my mum to pick me up.

Still miles in the legs and I was feeling good for the big one….

Snowdonia Marathon

Now…Snowdonia Marathon 2017 was fantastic.  Those of you who read my blog at the time will know how amazing it was, but also the struggle it was to get there.  But I did it!

This year was still a struggle.  But a different kind.  Completely sober this time, which comes with it’s own difficulties in the early days.  I’ve been injured.  I didn't train.  I should never have even started the event.

The first five miles of the race is up up up Pen Y Pass.  I started walking much sooner this year than last year.  Why didn’t you do any hill training, Jen?   Even the downhill was painful.  Last year I was flying down (my version of flying).  This year I was treading carefully trying not to aggravate my already injured foot and calf.

I got to half way and I was run walking for the remainder of the race.  It got to a point I was counting my steps between telegraph poles, running to one, walking to the next 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.  I was breaking.

Then on the “back straight” came the wind.  Apparently this never happens.  Never.  But there was a head wind all the way to the climb at Waun Fawr.  It was brutal.  I wanted to cry. I didn’t think I was going to make the cut off at 18 miles.  Thankfully…I did.  And made it up the climb and this year, there was no mist in sight.  I got my views!  They were incredible.
I battled on knowing the downhill was coming at Mile 25 I can run soon, I can run downhill.  Well…I could not do any such thing.  I’d be on my feet for six hours by this time.  It was cold.  My legs were done.  And the steep downhill?  Painful. Just, painful.

Coming up to Mile 26, I started a slow trot.  I could hear the crowds.  There are still crowds! I turned a corner and straight ahead I could see JB.  He was waiting for me to finish.  And there was Wes from the running club waiting for me to come. I was so emotional by this point.  I turned saw the finish line.  Closer and closer it came and then that was it.  It was done. 

I was broken by the end and burst into tears….compared to last year when the tears never came.  But I did it.  I got my views and I got my second coaster.  Done.



The October Challenges are finished.  I raised some more money for a wonderful charity.  I am so thankful to everyone who donated and everyone who has supported me. 

I’m never running again.

We all know that’s not true….

Comments

Popular Posts